13 Nov Recipe Thursday – Mushroom Soup
This soup is a great start to a holiday meal or to warm you on a chilly night and it takes 50 minutes start to finish!
• 2 tbsp butter
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1lb (450g) mixed mushrooms, coarsely chopped
• 7oz (200g) potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 1 quart (1 liter) vegetable stock
• 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• horseradish cream, to serve (optional)
• 1- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook for 3–4 minutes, or until softened.
• 2- Stir in the mushrooms and continue to cook for another 5–6 minutes. Add the potatoes and the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer gently for 30 minutes.
• 3- Using a blender, process the soup until smooth, working in batches if necessary. Sprinkle the parsley over the top and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, stirring a little horseradish cream into each soup bowl, if desired, for an extra kick.
Yield 4 servings
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 40 min
Courtesy of The Soup Book By Sophie Grigson