It’s time to bring back Recipe Thursday since the weather has turned warmer, finally! Here’s a wonderful salad from my friend Laurie Bakke, author of Laurie Bakke’s Cookbook and owner of Sage Gourmet Kitchen Store in Hendersonville, NC. which just opened and includes a fabulous wine shop. To get Laurie’s Cookbook visit http://lauriebakkeskitchen.com and follow Laurie on Twitter @LaurieBakke
This is a fantastic main dish to serve as an entree or on a buffet menu. It is best served with some very crusty grilled homemade bread It is packed full of flavor and will be sure to please your guests time and time again.
2. 4 Green Onions – peeled and chopped
3. 1 C. Fresh Cilantro – roughly chopped
4. 1/2 C. Fresh Basil – roughly chopped
5. 1 C. Lime Juice – freshly squeezed
6. 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice – freshly squeezed
7. 1 to 2 Tbsp. Sherry Vinegar
8. 2 to 3 Tbsp. Honey
9. 1/2 Cup Canola Oil or whatever oil you prefer
10. 1 Tbsp. Each Sugar and Kosher Salt
11. 1 Jalapeño Chili – halved and seeded
12. 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
14. 1 1/2 C. Fresh White Corn Kernels (frozen, if fresh is not available)
15. 15 Oz. Can Black Beans – rinsed and drained
16. 1 Medium Zucchini – medium dice
17. 1 Large Red Pepper – cored and medium dice
18. 3/4 C. Red Onion – medium dice
19. 1 Avocado – peeled, pitted and medium dice
20. 1 1/4 Lbs. Large Cooked Shrimp – peeled and deveined
21. Fresh Ground Black Pepper – to taste
1. For the dressing, blend first 7 ingredients in a food processor or with a blender stick until dressing is a smooth as possible. Slowly add the oil until emulsified. Add the sugar, salt, jalapeño and red pepper flakes to the mixture. Dressing can be prepared one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Combine the corn, black beans, zucchini, red pepper, and red onion in a large mixing bowl. Toss the salad with enough dressing to coat thoroughly and mix well. Add the avocado and shrimp and fold in gently. Add more dressing until it is well coated.
3. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to six hours. If serving immediately, follow the recipe for avocado and shrimp be added. If making salad ahead, add avocado and shrimp when serving.
4. For garnish, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and basil.
20860 West Indian Creek Road
Mundelein, IL 60060
Office Hours: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm M-F
Schmechtig Landscapes is a landscape contractor who provides landscape design, landscape installation, and landscape services for clients in North Shore Suburbs of Chicagoland, Northwest Suburbs of Chicagoland, Lake Geneva, and surrounding communities.